Fluency Staff Meeting
Summary of Content
- The training explains when fluency practise should take place in Roots and Wings.
- Effective use of the Fluency Rubric is discussed and modelled, with the aim of improving accuracy, expression and smoothness, which aid comprehension.
- The importance of using ‘Words Correct per Minute’ to help children to improve their reading speed is also discussed. Good reading speeds enable children to complete standardised tests in the allocated time. Increasing reading speed can be particularly effective in supporting children who may struggle to meet, or exceed national expectations in standardised tests.
- Staff will also have an opportunity to experience these strategies so they can internalise challenges children might experience.
How will this benefit staff?
- Fluency involves the skills of decoding accurately and smoothly, using expression and reading quickly, all of which have a significant impact on the reader’s understanding.
- In addition, the ability to read quickly is important if children are to succeed on standardised tests. Improving fluency is, therefore, a strategic way in which children can improve their comprehension scores.
Who should attend?
- This training is targeted at Roots and Wings teachers but is suitable for all members of staff because these skills should be introduced and modelled at a basic level by EYFS teachers.
Links to other training
- Fluency is a skill that is key for comprehension, so this training supports the development of comprehension, linking to all other trainings focused on improving understanding of a text.