Oral Language Development Staff Meeting
Summary of Content
- This training highlights the comprehension challenges resulting from poor vocabulary.
- A range of strategies for effectively teaching vocabulary is introduced and discussed.
How will this benefit staff?
- Poor vocabulary is a major barrier to children understanding texts at all levels.
- This training outlines effective ways of teaching vocabulary in order to aid children in understanding what they read.
- Stages of vocabulary teaching include identifying target vocabulary, then explaining, exploring and consolidating vocabulary to ensure that children can not only understand, but also use the new words.
- The aim is to improve progress and attainment through improved comprehension and better use of vocabulary in writing, in SfA and the wider curriculum.
Who should attend?
- This training is appropriate for all members of staff because vocabulary should be explicitly taught throughout the school.
Links to other trainings
- As the development of vocabulary is so fundamental to children having the skill and knowledge to comprehend text and information, this training links to all areas of SfA and learning throughout the wider curriculum.